Office Information

WVU Extension Service
Wayne County Office
27572 East Lynn Rd.
Wayne, WV 25570-0127

Phone: 304-272-6839
Fax: 304-272-6861

Canning & Food Preservation

Food Preservation

There is nothing like the taste of fresh-from-the-garden vegetables and fruits. But food begins to spoil quickly after harvesting unless it is preserved. Let WVU Extension’s Food and Nutrition specialists guide you through the food preservation process.

Extension specialists offer canning and other food preservation classes across the state. To see if WVU Extension is hosting a canning training class in your area, contact your local Extension office.

We Can: Food Preservation


We Can! The Canning Process PDF
We Can! Tomatoes PDF
We Can! Vegetables PDF
We Can! Fruits PDF
We Can! Meat and Poultry PDF
FAQ Answers PDF
Black & White Brochure PDF
Color Brochure PDF

Related Information:

Freezing & Drying

Freeze Fresh Fruits PDF
Freeze Fresh Vegetables PDF
Home Dried Fruits PDF
Home Dried Vegetables PDF

Related Information:

The National Center for Home Food Preservation ( is an excellent source of information with seasonal tips, publications and a list of ‘How do I’ – can, freeze, dry, cure & smoke, ferment, pickle, make jam & jelly and store different produce.

Preserve Food Safely

Did you know that pressure canning is the only recommended method for canning meat, poultry, seafood, and vegetables? The bacterium Clostridium botulinum is destroyed in low-acid foods when they are processed at the correct time and pressure in pressure canners. Using boiling water canners for these foods poses a real risk of botulism poisoning.

Home canning has changed greatly in the 180 years since it was introduced as a way to preserve food. Scientists have found ways to produce safer, higher quality products. Research is continually being conducted in areas that affect food preservation recommendations. Make sure your food preservation information is always current with up-to-date tested guidelines. For more information contact the Extension Office.

Testing Your Canner

If you would like your canner or pressure cooker tested, please contact the Extension Office.